Friday, May 22, 2009

My Best Friend... the dusk before the dawn.


It's difficult to put into words the void that I have had within, these past two years after my furry friend has passed over the rainbow bridge. He was a companion that completely understood me, both in my ups and downs and was always willing to share his heart with me for comfort.

His death, the result of a heart three times it normal size, the doctors gave him but a couple of weeks to live but his relentless determination and desire to live proved them off by a fourth more than two years. That heart of his was his treasure and mine, as it was made of something more pure than gold. His comfort to me and friendship will be sorely missed but never forgotten.

His final day was one to remember as I had meetings in Texas. It was rare that Major would wake with me much less walk me to my car to say goodbye at an early 5 AM. I recall having Bonita hold him back as I took my leave, I still can recall his tail. Hours later upon my arrival in Dallas, just after settling into the hotel, my phone rang and on the other end such sad news. My heart struck in grief as I rushed to schedule out another flight to come directly home to be by his side for his last moments but impossible was my task.

His departure mimicked his arrival as a pup, one remarkably of the story that life repeats itself. When a puppy, I took Major on a fishing trip with me. We had such a great time that day as he ran from stem to stern of the boat watching and chasing the large stripped bass as they swam along side. A young Bull Terrier's head and shoulders are much larger than his hind side and can easily create an imbalance. In a brief moment he'd fallen overboard as he stuck his head over the edge while watching the bass swim under the boat. He took the dive and took on water as he failed to close his jaws. I watched him struggle just under the surface trying helplessly to get some air. In a moment, I reached into the water and snatched him from his cool drink. For the rest of Major's life, he loved the water and the fishes within but chose not to swim unless prompted by an other's demand.

His final moments were spent with family on the dock behind our house. He loved to watch the fishes just underneath the water as they tapped the surface for food. The vet had been called and was on her way to expedite his final goodbye but minutes before her arrival, his heart stopped beating, his strong legs gave way and he bounced off the dock, splashed into the water, dead upon arrival. His resting place, just feet from the dock, lay under a quiet large tree, as was his favorite place in the "whole wide world" and beside his arch nemesis Stinky our cat.


No comments:

Post a Comment