Friday, May 22, 2009

Students can be teachers too...

Yesterday was a hectic day for me but not related to the family; my work is demanding at times and leaves me with frustration and stress at the end of the day.

Upon my arrival at the homestead my thoughts turned to the young master and Sweet Pea which could easily have been another point of stress but to my joy, they both were quite anxious to relieve me of the days anxiety. Sweet Pea has this little trick that I taught her, to jump up and down in front of me without touching me, like on a pogo stick but to say hi and request herself be held in my arms for petting. The young master found himself competing for the same space but hasn't developed her ability to jump quite as high but none the less, jumped for joy and affection.

We embarked on our walk after our greetings and during the journey we came upon a couple of sweet doggies as a lady retrieved mail from her postal box along the roadside. Chap and Pea eagerly greeted the canines with wagging tails and facial licks; all four happily encountering each other. The lady gave special greeting to Chap and spoke of how handsome he was and that he looked like a show dog with his tail erected upright and his stance with his hind legs spread for stability. She said he seemed so natural at it and wanted to know if we intended to allow him to compete. I gave her my thanks for the acknowledgement and stated that I felt that he has been bread for the possibility though only his home and family in Edison would be the ones to make that call; it is our happiness to just to be part of his life.

After returning home from our walk, we went into the backyard to play. For Chap the world is something to smell and investigate with no one thing to keep his attention for any length of time. Sweet Pea unfortunately had spent three years in a concrete kennel with no room to play or enticing odors to investigate. Her understanding of the wonderful life that dogs should have and more so live, was stripped from her existence at birth leaving her life empty; though she never knew the difference. My sorrow for her has been just this and my desire has been to restore the void within her.

I began to throw a red ball to try to get young Chaps attention; I enjoy a good round of fetch. He was engaged and entertaining though he would drop the ball before returning as to encourage my exercise as well. Sweet Pea has learned a bit about fetch while in the house but has never shown interest outside. She seems to want to stand and watch as Chap enjoys the playful side of life. Bonita returned from her day of work and was eagerly greeted by both Pea and Chap until I began another round of play. But this time Sweet Pea decided to join in and chase the ball with Chap; each competing for the opportunity to give the ball to me. It was quite fun to see them play together taking the ball from each other. It was then it happened, the young master became the teacher and Pea became the student. Chap remembered the activities of the day before as the pack romped round the race track in a game of keep away. He began running all over the yard in circles and figure eights quickly dodging Peas attempts to snatch the ball from his jaws. It was delightful to see our sweet Pea become a dog and begin to enjoy playful romping with her new friend. Pea has this wonderful hop as if she were a bunny in a field of tall grass to vault. She ran hard and fast and hopping at peaks of her pleasure. You could see Chap smiling with the ball in his mouth and I could imaging his thoughts as he challenged Pea to catch him. Bonita and I laughed our heats content and we both acknowledged Chaps attentiveness to Peas education.

This young fellow is quite a remarkable individual. We are enjoying him so very much and he is everything and more than I could have hoped for. He has an incredible ability to learn and is very obedient, loving and willing to share his lessons from you and his home with others less fortunate. He's quite the man.

1 comment:

  1. This is wonderful! Thank you so much for giving our lad a great life and chronicling Chap. I really appreciate your narratives and feel the passion. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete