Friday, May 22, 2009

Can't we all just get along or does no really mean NO??

The young master spent his day in a crash course of socialization skills. He spent his early morning with Sweet Pea and I learning respect for ones space and he graduated with honors. I was quite surprised with Sweet Pea as she made her need for space quite clear. During this time I used a method of correction that I learned from Caesar on TV where you take you hand and nip at his side or neck like a dogs mouth and you hiss at him. It worked quite well! After a short period of time he was circling Sweet Pea but would not encroach on her space. Afterwards I took both of them for a long walk on their leads and kept them close to my side. During the walk he never tried to climb her backside. I kept the pace at a good tempo though a few times I allowed them to explore and even during these times they were mindful of each others space.
Later in the afternoon Jennifer and John brought over Taco, a six month old Basenji and Rocket, an 11 month old Westie; both males. This is where the fun really begins!! Chap growled through the little fence that I had placed in a doorway but never snapped. We brought the two through the kitchen and allowed them to meet with Chap on the lead. Chap minded his manners and greeted them each sniffing each other.
Once the greetings were over we carried them downstairs to my office and the romping began as Rocket grabbed a ball and began running in circles around a sofa and coffee table. I have a large area office where there's two sofas and the second half of the room is exercise equipment all of which was part of the race track. It was a hilarious site to see as all o the family was in tears laughing while Rocket, Taco and Chap chased each other around the track for what seemed like an hour. On the second round Sweet Pea jumped in when Rocket started squeaking the ball as he run which the sound is irresistible to Pea. The game afoot ended when Sweet Pea stopped to relieve herself in the middle of the track as the dogs dredged through it; chaos ensued.
During the timeouts I found it very interesting that Chap and Sweet Pea packed together and Taco and Rocket packed together separately; each to their own respective corner. At the end of the romp they all snuggled up with their masters; Chap found himself falling asleep on my chest laying beside Sweet Pea.
It's been quite a day for our sporty fellow. The young master has found a new set of friends and has quickly learned respect for other animals and I have learned how to tire him out..
Best regards,



No comments:

Post a Comment